Saturday 31 August 2013

OOTN: Japanese Geisha Costume & Review of Illamasqua Cream Foundation

Hey! Today's post is sort of multi-tasking, I wanted to share the costume and makeup I wore for a party last night, and also review the Illamasqua foundation used! It also seems appropriate with Halloween not too far away... this is definitely a costume which could be zombie-fied!

So it was my friends 18th yesterday and she was having an 'Around the World' themed party. (Funny story; she had the same venue and DJ as I had at mine 2 years ago! Good taste obviously) I personally love costume/theme parties and after spotting a kimono on eBay for a bargain price of about £4, I decided I would be a Japanese Geisha!



The kimono itself was a teeny bit short at the back, so I wore a plain black skirt underneath and I swapped the white ribbon belt which came with it because it looked a bit naff.

The makeup itself was actually pretty simple, but for some reason did take me an hour! (I'm blaming those pesky false eyelashes) I applied a base of Illamasqua Cream Foundation in 110, then filled in my brows to emphasize them a bit more, some blush blended on my temples, a simple cat-eye flick with some liquid eyeliner and applied some false lashes and mascara, and finally red lipstick just in the centre of my lips.

You may also notice I've re-ombré-ed my hair - bright red to go with the outfit. This was such a simple (and cheap) costume to put together but I got a lot of compliments for it.


Okay, onto a more detailed review of the foundation!



I knew I would want my makeup to last, and not irritate my skin so I decided to purchase some proper white foundation instead of regular face paint. Also I remember doing a friends makeup to look like the Joker last Halloween and the white face paint being really thin and un-pigmented if that makes sense? So I immediately thought of Illamasqua as they're known for their more theatrical makeup. Lucky for me, at the time I was looking they had a 50% sale on! So this foundation is still available here for £23, but I managed to get mine for just £7.50 - bargain!

The consistency of this is nice, and is definitely pigmented! I applied this with my Real Techniques Stippling brush, and while I got good coverage, I'm disappointed to say it did not last well. Even with my trusty Urban Decay All Nighter Makeup Setting Spray, which usually makes everything stay on my face all day/night! I found I had to re-apply my foundation a couple of times through the night, which isn't really ideal.

I might try this again at some point using the sponge which came with it to apply the foundation, and see if that makes any difference - but I generally prefer to use brushes for my makeup. On a positive note though, I have to commend Illamasqua for their fancy packaging - I really felt like I was opening something special! Even if it does seem like a rather large box for just one item!

I don't think I've been put off buying other products from Illamasqua though, I've quite got my eye on a glow-in-the-dark nail top coat they do!

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment